15 August 2015

R.A. Dickey 2014 Topps Future Stars that Never Were


This isn't a particularly rare card, but it seems like when it pops up the asking price is more than I want to pay. This time I got it for an agreeable number from eBay. It comes from 2014 Topps and is from the Future Stars that Never Were insert set. It's actually a Gold parallel of the insert set, because it's not enough to make parallels of the base set. The thing that surprised me the most about this card was how thick it was. It's not relic-card thick, but it's definitely thicker than a regular card. I wasn't expecting that. The set highlights popular players of today who never appeared in Future Stars subsets.


The Gold cards are numbered out of # / 99, and this one is copy # 94 / 99. It talks about how Dickey missed out on prospect buzz and only really found success after switching over to throwing the knuckleball. He kind of had a rough start to 2015, but since the start of June he has really turned things up a notch, with an ERA under 3.00 through those 2-1/2 months. I would like to see the Astros make a deep run in the playoffs this year, but I would also like it if Dickey could make the playoffs with the Blue Jays and put up a good start or two. I haven't really focused on my R.A. Dickey player collection lately, but I do manage to pick something up for it here and there. I'm glad I finally tracked this one down.

No comments:

Post a Comment