10 February 2016

Pack of the Day 123: 2013 Topps Heritage Baseball


Before these posts about the retail and repacked cards I bought in January were interrupted by the release of 2016 Topps Series 1, I opened a pack of 2014 Topps Update from the repack box and didn't have much to say about those cards. Well, I have even less to say about today's pack, a 9-card pack of 2013 Topps Heritage. I got back into card collecting in late 2013, and this is one set that I never really got into. I went all-in on 2014 and 2015 Heritage, but the 2013 and earlier releases never grabbed my attention.


Carlos Gomez has been making frequent appearances in this repack. I really hope that he and the Astros can keep up the momentum they built last season and do well again this year. A deeper run in the playoffs would be ideal, but every fan base out there is hoping for the same thing.


I don't even know what to say about these cards. This is the kind of pack that reminds me why I have turned to just buying hand-collated sets for the most part. I know that Heritage is all about the set-building and less about the inserts and flashy junk, but buying a one-off pack of Heritage is about the least exciting thing I can imagine outside of maybe something from the junk wax era or Panini Triple Play, which I don't even open half the time anymore.


This is the 9th card that makes trouble when I try to break things up into even scans. I could have done a full 9-card page, I suppose, but that gets to be too many cards in one picture and I can't handle that. I am not a Giants fan at all and for the most part I find fans of the Giants and 49ers to be irritating. It must be something in the water down there. I have a couple of friends who are fans of those teams and I tolerate them because they have other redeeming qualities, but whenever they start going off about their teams I have to walk away for a while.

4 comments:

  1. I'm old and thus you would think these cards would be nostalgic. Rather I think I've become accustomed to seeing actionshots and these bore me to tears. If I were a team collector I guess I'd get a Cubs team set and maybe a few chosen players but overall they don't do anything for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that Heritage is a product where you can't really skip a year, but some years are just duds and probably shouldn't be replicated. Maybe I've just been pulling the wrong cards, but 2013 Topps Heritage/1964 Topps just aren't a good match for me and my collection.

      Delete
  2. I like Heritage. Other than Gypsy Queen, its usually one of my must haves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Heritage, too, but the 2013 edition just never grabbed my interest.

      Delete