21 September 2013

What eBay Hath Wrought 16: Austin Pettis

 
I can't for the life of me remember where it was, but I saw a blog post from a guy who needed some cash and was running some eBay auctions. I put in a bid on this Austin Pettis auto/patch card and won it. Pettis hasn't done much in the NFL and isn't projected to keep his current job as a starter for the Rams, but he was drafted out of the local state university (Boise State University) and thus has some name recognition in the immediate area. I am not a Boise State fan, as my loyalties lie with the University of Idaho, but I do tend to casually follow the careers of Boise State players who get into the NFL.
 
It's a pretty good-looking card. The edges of the sticker are hidden inside the sandwiched layers keeping the uniform swatch in place, so that helps the presentation quite a bit. I don't much like sticker autographs anyway, but I especially don't like them in higher-end products. Topps Finest doesn't qualify as a higher-end product in my eyes, but I was thinking back to that pack of Panini Crusade Basketball I opened and the sticker autograph in it. In your base level sets stickers are lame but not horrible, but in anything with an MSRP per pack of say $10+ you should be able to expect on-card signatures or at least stickers that are partially hidden like on this card here. That's my little rant for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment