15 June 2017

Pack of the Day 164: Repack or Blaster?

I was at Target a month or so ago, and I was trying to decide what cards to buy. I heavily considered a few of the blasters on the shelf, but couldn't bring myself to spend the $20 it would take to get one. Instead, I grabbed one of those 10-pack repack boxes that costs $12. I think the one I chose had a pack of Bowman and a pack of Allen & Ginter on the front.


I kind of expected to find several packs of Triple Play in the middle of the box, but there was just one. I didn't scan it, because I have too much of that stuff. Portions of the other 9 packs are shown above.


The main feature of the Allen & Ginter pack was that all of the cards were heavily dinged on one corner. I scanned the Golovkin card because last year I opened a box of the stuff and pulled his autograph. I sold it for a pretty penny, enough to cover the cost of the box a couple of times over. There were a few cool Bowman base cards in the pack. I thought the 1990 Upper Deck pack was pretty cool. I got some pretty good photos out of that one, with plenty of mustaches on display. The 2016 Topps packs were full of Ichiro cards, with that 3000 Hits Club insert being the first.


There were three more Ichiro cards in the packs, with a base card and a couple of Chasing 3K inserts. I also pulled a relic card, featuring the injured Matt Harvey, one of the many banged-up Mets players. There's a little bit of a pinstripe along the right side of the swatch.


I scanned a couple of big sluggers from the 2016 Topps Bunt pack in Evan Gattis and Prince Fielder. Another Met made the cut from the Topps Chrome pack, with a David Wright Prism Refractor. I probably could have scanned the whole Stadium Club pack, but I stuck with one vertical and four horizontal cards. I've posted that Mariano Rivera card before, but that's a good photo.


Here are a few other standouts from that Stadium Club pack. The Teixeira card is a Gold parallel. Overall, I think the repack probably delivered more fun per dollar than most blasters do, even with the Triple Play pack and the dinged-up Allen & Ginter cards. Pulling a relic card was pretty cool, even if it featured a kinda dysfunctional player from a very dysfunctional team.

4 comments:

  1. I always like getting repacks like this, mainly because you never know what will be lurking in the packs. Pretty cool that you were able to pull that Harvey relic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're a better deal than loose packs purchased at full price. You also get more variety than you'd find in a blaster, although blaster-exclusive incentives are sometimes pretty tempting.

      Delete
  2. I love these repacks and every time I see one posted about, I wish Target would come back to Canada because these type of repacks are just not found here since Target left. The repacks here are more expensive and lower quality (for example 11 packs for $27 CDN and usually 4 of those packs are Triple Play).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are good repacks and bad repacks. I don't recall which company makes these ones, but they are usually pretty decent. There are others that don't feel worthwhile, like the ones you mentioned that load you up with Triple Play.

      Delete