10 March 2014

Pack of the Day 66: 20 Cards from 10 Packs

My wife and I were at the store the other day and I thought I would check out the card aisle, since it was a store I hadn't ever been to before. There was a lot of stuff there, but I finally settled on a repack containing 10 packs of cards. I figured it might yield something more interesting than the 2014 Topps Series 1 doubles I would pull from another rack pack of that product, so I gave it a go. I'll be posting the 2 most interesting cards (to me) from each pack I opened.


The first pack I opened was 1989 Donruss. Dave Stewart was the default 2nd-most interesting card, but what I really liked was getting a pack-fresh minty Bo Jackson card. I just realized that I was wearing a pair of my Bo Jackson throwback Nikes on the day I bought this repack. It must have been destiny. And that's really the high point of the repack, so I could just stop here. But I won't.

I also got a pack of 1989 Fleer. I had to include the Astro in the pack in this post, especially with the cameo by the rainbow uniform. And I thought it was fun to pull a Jamie Moyer card, as there probably aren't a lot of 1989 cards featuring guys who were still pitching in the major leagues in 2012.


I think these next two cards came from a rack pack of 2006 Upper Deck, which was a combo pack from Series I and Series II. I liked the big Pirate head on the wall there behind Ian Snell and the shot of Hideki Matsui stretching out.

The next pack was 2011 Heritage. I haven't really been caught up in the Topps Heritage wave, but there are a lot of folks around here who set their calendar by it. Mark Reynolds is one of those guys who you used to pick up on a Fantasy Team because he would hit home runs in bunches, but he would also lead the league in strikeouts. It seems like I would always pick him up on the day after a home run binge, then drop him after he went 0 - for - 4 six games in a row and single-handedly dropped my batting average by a few points. As soon as he was off my roster he would go out and hit five home runs in six games. Sometimes I still think about picking him up and seeing if things will be different this time. B.J. Upton killed my whole Fantasy Baseball season last year. Somehow I got him in every league, and he just stunk.


The 2011 Topps Chrome pack only had four cards in it, so there wasn't a lot of choice. I went with the Joe/y's in the pack. The Votto is some kind of throwback-themed insert, while the Mauer is a base card.

The 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars pack also only had four cards in it. Felix Hernandez was an automatic inclusion, and Matt Cain beat out Johnny Damon and Jon Garland for reasons that I don't fully understand.

For 2007 Topps Series 2 I went with Mark Teixeira and a Jason Michaels/Travis Hafner combo card because chicks dig the long ball. Also, most of the other guys in the pack were guys I'd never heard of or role players who weren't known as power hitters.


The final Upper Deck product in the repack was a pack of 2008 Upper Deck First Edition. I chose the Miguel Montero because it's a bit of a play at the plate and the Prince Fielder because it was the best other horizontal card and would allow me to scan both cards without a bunch of shenanigans.


2012 Topps Opening Day didn't yield a whole lot, but I did get a Mascot card for the Toronto Blue Jays and a decent card of David Ortiz. Ortiz actually made a couple of appearances in the repack, but I tried to limit scans to one per player.

The 2011 Topps Update Series pack didn't have much going on either, but Paul Konerko had a decent card and I felt like he warranted inclusion in this post. Philip Humber got put in here because of his extreme case of 'pitcher face.'

Well, this repack wasn't the greatest ever, not by a long shot. I'd say that the Bo Jackson and Jamie Moyer cards were my favorites, and I guess that tells you everything you need to know about this bunch of cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment