29 May 2015

N20 Allen & Ginter Prize & Game Chickens 14: Derbyshire Red Cap


I picked up another card recently in my quest to complete the N20 Allen & Ginter Prize & Game Chickens set, which was produced in the late 1800s, probably around 1891. That makes this card around 125 years old. This Derbyshire Red Cap is my 10th PSA graded card from the set, which means I've got 20% of the cards in PSA holders. I also have 4 ungraded cards, so overall I have 14 of the 50 cards, or 28% of the set.

The seller of this card had several cards listed, but I was only able to land this one, which had the lowest grade of the bunch. From what I can tell, the person who purchased the bulk of the other cards from this seller has relisted them at prices much higher than they won them for, and well out of my range.


Here is the back of the card, which is basically a checklist for the set and an advertisement for Allen & Ginter cigarettes. The card carries a relatively low grade, but meets my criteria, which are that the art on the front should not be overly compromised (the rooster's tail is missing a couple of small chips), there shouldn't be much paper loss on the back of the card, and I prefer that cards not be too discolored or stained.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! Need to find some of these ancients for my collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allen & Ginter did sets that covered a whole spectrum of topics, so you should be able to find a set that appeals to you if chickens aren't your thing. The guy who runs the Nachos Grande blog is putting together a set based on American fish.

      Delete
  2. I don't usually go looking for cock pics online, but yours are always the best! Good luck in your quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to focus on quality over quantity! Thank you!

      Delete