04 February 2024

1964 Topps Venezuela

I've documented a bit of my progress on my Wally Moon collection recently. I have most of the low-hanging fruit already in my collection, so I now have to gather the rarer stuff. Some of it is not readily available in PSA-graded form, so I've gathered some cards that will eventually be sent off to PSA once I'm confident I've got just about everything in-hand. That future PSA submission will include Wally Moon cards, as well as the remaining cards I've gathered for the 1891 N20 Allen & Ginter 50 Prize & Game Chickens set I've been working on for the last decade. None of these cards will grade very well, but that's not really the point for these set builds.


I recently found myself looking for Wally Moon's 1964 Topps Venezuela card, which is similar to his 1964 Topps base card, outside of the printing on the back. Venezuelan releases were printed on poor cardstock, and most of the ones that have survived are in poor condition. This copy is no exception, with rounded corners and fading. It still shows Wally's unibrow in all its majesty, though.


The card backs on the 1964 Venezuelan cards are printed in black, as opposed to the U.S.-released cards that were printed in orange. It's a relatively easy way to determine which is which for this year. Several years ago I purchased a 1962 Topps NL Batting Leaders card that purports to be the Venezuelan edition that I hope will grade as such in spite of being virtually identical to the U.S. printing.


Based on the available offerings during my search, it worked out cheaper to buy a lot of Venezuelan cards rather than just the Wally Moon single. It's strange how it works out that way sometimes. So I got Ryne Duren and Harvey Kuenn Venezuelans as well.


Again, these are in pretty rough shape, but that is expected with these cards that are nearly as old as my parents, who were born in 1962. Ryne Duren I wasn't super familiar with, but he made the All-Star Game a few times and won a ring with the Yankees in 1958. Harvey Kuenn was a familiar name, who was a perennial All-Star with the Tigers and managed the Brewers for a couple of years after his playing days.

8 comments:

  1. Compared to most of the Venezuelan Topps cards I've seen, these are in pretty good shape, especially the fronts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to get a Wally Moon that presents so well.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Brett... these all look to be in pretty good shape compared to what I've seen in the past. As for Kuenn, I mainly remember him for his 80's manager cards (more specifically his 1983 Topps manager card).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to get a Wally Moon that looks so good. The 1962 card I have is in much worse shape. I'll have to look up that manager card.

      Delete
  3. Nice Venezuelans! The Moon especially is in amazing shape for a Venezuelan.

    Cool that you're collecting Wally Moon - he's been one of my favorites of the 50s/60s since meeting him at a card show when I was eight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a fun semistar collection to start, where I could get into some vintage cards without breaking the bank.

      Delete
  4. That was a nice little lot. I love the black backs on the '64 Venezuelans.

    ReplyDelete