11 February 2024

2022 Panini Prizm UFC Retail Box

Some of my pickups from my latest Blowout Cards order were UFC cards. I was heavily into UFC cards during the Topps years, but then Panini got the license and prices were too high to be reasonable. Topps recently took the license back and followed suit with a $250 asking price on a box of Chrome UFC. That's just too high for me. I got some cheaper boxes by going with retail and watered-down Hobby releases, including this 2022 Prizm UFC Retail box. Most of the Hobby Prizms are out of play here, and you're lucky if you pull a hit, but I'm hoping to get a good chunk of the base set and maybe some interesting retail-only parallels.

I believe the Green Prizms are retail-exclusive parallels. The Derrick Lewis card is a Prizm Flashbacks insert, and Jorge Masvidal and Marvin Vettori are other guys I've heard of before. Not too bad of a start to the parallels.


Yair Rodriguez is another name I'm aware of, so 4/4 on the Green Prizms as far as name recognition goes. The base set is 200 cards, with 100 horizontal and 100 vertical cards. I didn't bother to photograph any actual base cards, as the parallels look the same outside of the colored border.


I didn't photograph all of the inserts I pulled, but I tried to get one of each kind for this post. The Rafael Dos Anjos card is a Bonus Machines insert, highlighting fighters who have won Fight of the Night bonuses for their performances in the Octagon. Rose Namajunas is a non-parallel Prizm Flashbacks card. Most of the Prizm Flashbacks cards seem to feature fighters wearing belts, so I thought maybe it was a champion-centric insert. I had to go to Cardboard Connections' checklist to find out it was a flashback-themed insert.


Fearless and Fireworks feature fighters who are fearless and explosive. Khabib Nurmagomedov and Valentina Shevchenko are both pretty good pulls here.


According to the packaging, these Pink Pulsar /42 Prizms are the big chase in retail. I've never heard of Movsar Evloev before, but I haven't been following UFC very closely the last few years. It seems I'm never around for the Fight Nights on ESPN+, and I can't justify the expense of the PPV events. I almost logged in last night for the fights ,but the ESPN page wouldn't load and I took that as a sign that it wasn't meant to happen for me.


I did get lucky and pulled an autograph from this box. This is a Green Prizm autograph of Stipe Miocic. I have a small collection of his cards, so I was pretty happy to get this one.


4 comments:

  1. Can't complain about pulling an.auto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited to pull an auto out of a retail box, and especially to pull an auto of a fighter I collect.

      Delete
  2. I haven't followed the UFC as closely for a few years either, but I do remember those Miocic vs. Cormier fights. Congratulations on pulling his autograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have not followed the sport very closely in recent years. I was happy to pull an autograph out of retail, and even happier that it was a name I recognize.

      Delete