18 November 2015

2015 Topps Series 2 First Pitch Set


A month or two ago I picked up the final ten cards in the First Pitch insert set from 2015 Topps Baseball. These cards were released in Series 2, adding to the fifteen cards released with Series 1. I believe I also picked up the Series 1 set at some point, but I never blogged about it. The premise behind the set is that it features various people, usually celebrities, who have thrown the ceremonial first pitch at MLB games. The card fronts carry a decent amount of information, like the date and location of the appearance along with the person's name and a photo from the event. The card backs have a little write-up about the pitch, sometimes sugar-coating the more wayward tosses. There weren't really any subjects in the Series 2 set that I absolutely had to have, but they are a pretty solid group.


I should like Stan Lee more than I do, but he always has struck me as a bit full of himself. His work has undoubtedly been a big part of my life, though, to the point that I named two of my sons after comic book characters he co-created. Maybe without his personality and endless ability to self-promote we wouldn't have access to the library of Marvel characters. There are a lot of Giants, Cubs, and Dodgers in this set, but I guess that's to be expected. Although the Series 1 group had more cards that I was interested in, I think this is a pretty good insert that does something a little different from the usual cookie-cutter insert fare. It would be kind of cool to keep this going as an annual insert set as there are always new people throwing out first pitches. 

1 comment: