25 September 2015

Combined Shipping Leads to Buying Stuff 4: R.A. Dickey 2013 Topps Tribute WBC Patches


I picked up a lot of 9 cards from a seller on eBay; largely because of the two cards in this post. I have had my eye on R.A. Dickey's 2013 Topps Tribute WBC cards pretty much since the product released, but had never quite felt like paying the asking price. I finally broke down and grabbed a couple of them for my collection. This first one is the more limited of the two, being the Red parallel of the Prime Patches Relic set. My copy is numbered # 07 / 10. It's got a nice little chunk of jersey number or something on there and is suitably shiny.


The card backs are about what you expect from a high-end patch card. The card companies figure you are going to be so transfixed by the glitz and flash on the front of the card that the back will be an afterthought, so they also make it an afterthought. At least the authenticity certification ties the relic piece to a specific time period instead of Topps' usual vague statement.


I find it interesting that the more common version of the card has a (subjectively) much better patch piece embedded in it. This one's got all kinds of colors and levels of patch stepping down to the jersey material. It's shiny and silver and my copy is numbered # 011 / 131. 


The back of the card is identical to the back of the rarer card. I am glad to finally grab a couple of Dickey's cards from this set. I didn't get a great deal on them, but it was an acceptable price especially with the shipping split up nine ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment