12 April 2014

What eBay Hath Wrought 64: R.A. Dickey MLB Showdown


I like to pick up oddball cards of my favorite players when the opportunity presents itself. I have read quite a bit about MLB Showdown on Nick's blog, but I was out of collecting during the heyday of the card game.

It seems like the sort of thing that would be right up my alley, although I have a bit of an odd relationship with collectible card games. I love the concept of them, but I never seem to be very good at them. I guess I just have some difficulty wrapping my mind around the relationships between the cards and the vast library of options a game like Magic: the Gathering offers.

I also don't have any 'real' friends, which limits the availability of opponents to play against. I often feel a little regret and self-pity that I haven't found a group of like-minded people to socialize with in person, but I don't even know how one would go about doing such a thing.

I did buy heavily into the Kickstarter campaign of an online Trading Card Game called Hex, but I've found again that my ability to build a deck of cards is terrible and the big losses that result from that keep me from logging in and playing much at all. There is supposed to be a single-player campaign released in the future that allows you to challenge different dungeons and computerized opponents. I am looking forward to that.


I also at some point got this green parallel of R.A. Dickey from 2013 Topps Finest, which is numbered # 197 / 199. There's not much to say about it aside from that. I sure wish Dickey would get around to signing some stickers and sending in a jersey to Topps. I think I have 5 redemptions in their system for his cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment