06 October 2013

Pack of the Day 29: 2013 Bowman Baseball Retail Box Pack 9

It's been a long time since I visited this particular series of posts. Since then I have come to the conclusion that completing the set through packs would be rather ridiculous, so I bought a base set on eBay. Maybe that's a lot like giving up, but I was bound to spend a lot more money on packs to fill out a set that could be had complete online for around $20. A key contributor to that decision was the fact that none of my local stores had any more of these packs for me to buy, so I would have had to source them from the internet or something. So I will probably play out the series of posts just to do it. I have them tagged with their own special tag so that if someone wanted to wait until the end to see the whole box at once, they could click the tag and do that. I will probably do that at some point so I can remember what I pulled from the box.

The point on Corey Hart's beard makes him look like some kind of leprechaun. Or a total douche. Maybe he's a nice guy. I don't know. All I can do is judge his personality based on a picture of him playing baseball with a douche-beard. I hope I'm wrong. Aaron Hill is falling down making a throw and his dirty uniform suggests that he plays pretty hard. Good for him. Jayson Werth somehow manages to make a face like he's a model for the Cabela's catalog while he's playing baseball. Why is Hart's beard douchey but Werth's is manly and strong? I don't know. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.


Prospects! They do prospecty things! Don't they make batting helmets in prspect sizes? Or do they give them massive helmets as some sort of hazing ritual? Really, if you look at Hart and Werth above, their helmets look normal-sized. On these two dudes, the helmets are engulfing their heads. Does a person's head grow that much in their late teens and early twenties? I don't get it.


Everyone knows his name is Howie, okay, Topps? I got the base card and the Gold parallel in the same pack. If I were a Kendrick collector, this would be like winning the $16.00 prize in Powerball. It's not really that great, but it's pretty awesome compared to all the times you don't match any numbers or you just match one.


Here we have another prospect in a large helmet. He appears to be playing on Hispanic Heritage Day or the Reds' equivalent of that particular promotion. You can tell by his face that he is giving 110% right now. Hopefully this isn't a picture of him running to get in line for his post-game juicebox and hot dog.


And finally, we get to the insert. This is the 38th player in the Bowman Top 100, Alen Hanson. Do I know anything about him? Nope. I do like this insert set, though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment