15 October 2013

What eBay Hath Wrought 22: Golden Yankees

I got 2nd place in one of my Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball leagues this season, and the prize was $70. Instead of doing the responsible thing and using that money for good, I used it to help fill in my 2013 Topps Archives Gold parallel set. Unfortunately, this lot contains a lot of Yankees and Ryan Braun. Also, some of these cards were purchased on Sportlots, but I couldn't come up with a post category for that, so I lumped them into my eBay category.

It's a good thing this group has Chris Davis in it, because otherwise I would hate it. I hope that his massive power binge this season was because of natural stuff like changes in plate approach and luck rather than the artificial boosters that Braun, A-Roid, others have used. I know it's impossible to know for sure who is and who is not doping and there is some debate as to whether that really matters, but I feel like players should compete to the best of their natural abilities or the game just becomes a matter of who can inject the most stuff into themselves without blowing up.

Yankee count so far: 1
Nike Swoosh count: 2


David Freese is either very popular or very unpopular right now, depending on how you feel about the Cardinals. I am indifferent to them at this point in time. My favorite guy here is Fernando Rodney. His hat is ridiculous. Some people really don't like his hat tilted off to the side like that, but since he's the one guy in the spotlight who does that consistently, it's quirky and I think the guys who do things a little bit differently are the ones who make being a fan more fun.

Yankee count: 2
Nike Swoosh count: 4


I don't have a lot to say about this group. They fill spots in my binder, although I have a bit of a binder dilemma on the way. That's a teaser for a future blog post, though. We don't get any get any Yankees in this particular batch, but there is one Swoosh.

Yankees: 2
Nike Swooshes: 5


Here we get into the 1990 Topps set, which I really like. I really need to get a couple boxes of it to bust open and relive my childhood. Goose Gossage is a cool enough guy that his Yankeehood isn't too effonsive to me. Clayton Kershaw looks a little like a Muppet.

Yankees: 3
Nike Swooshes: 5 6 (edit: I think I see another Swoosh there on Arroyo's glove)


I didn't order any of my favorite Blue Jays, but Brett Lawrie is kind of a borderline guy. I almost got a tattoo last year commemorating parts of my military service, but I backed out at the last minute. I still want to get it, but it's one of those things that can sit on the back burner for a couple more years before I bring it back up. I definitely wouldn't be getting full sleeves like Lawrie has.

Yankees: 5
Nike Swooshes: 5 6


The Nike Swooshes tailed off there at the end and the Yankees got a big boost to almost catch up to them. Does it mean anything? I don't know. I guess Nike's corporate presence is just as pervasive in baseball card sets as the Yankees are. This is a pretty small sample size, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment