22 January 2014

Pack of the Day 54: 2013 Bowman Retail Box Break Pack 20

This pack is pretty pitcher-heavy, with 7 of the 10 cards featuring ball-chuckers. Miller and Wainwright are pretty good pulls. Beachy is a bit meh, and Pujols is pretty good even though I don't actually have much of an opinion on him. I don't think I've ever had him on a Fantasy Baseball team, which is probably why I am so neutral on him.


Among the prospects we have an intensity vs. fun battle, with Freeman and Montgomery taking their work very seriously and Salazar and Villanueva just having a good time. We tend to describe similar appearances differently depending on how the team is doing in the standings. If the team is doing well, serious dudes would be considered cerebral or in the zone, while those same guys would be called out for trying too hard or pressing if the team happened to lose a couple of games in a row.

The same dichotomy exists when players appear to be having fun. If the team is losing we accuse them of not playing hard enough or caring as much as they should, but if the team is doing well we say that the game is coming easy to them or that good chemistry is allowing them to play loose and easy. I would imagine that the way we talk about our sports teams probably has a lot more to do with us than it does with them. There is probably quite a bit of that in the Richard Sherman interview debate, too, but I don't know if I want to get into that right at the moment.


This pack came with a couple of parallels. One is a State and Hometown (I forget what this insert is called, so I call it whatever I want from post to post) parallel of Barry Zito and the Gold parallel features Roy Halladay.


No comments:

Post a Comment